Friday, March 16, 2007

A day for drought

The day is wet and it will rise

like tropical mold on a loaf of bread.

It is unnecessary and arrogant

and slow. It is damp and deaf


from the rain’s rhythmless drumbeat

on the night’s tin roofs. So I rope

the clouds in like a paniolo

and hoard them in rocky pasture,


silver wire strung as afterthought

around the perimeter,

and watch the ferns curl their fingers inward

finally chastised. As the clouds grow fat


I wring them out into a corner of porous

earth every three days or so. Otherwise

they graze as quietly as stoned sheep.

After several weeks, when the heliconia


has turned to kindling, I belly-flop

in the last of some tidepond’s brackish water

and watch the black crabs dance.

I bury my fingers in the gasping sand.

No comments: